Zirconia in the STSetcher

Samuel B. Schaevitz SamS at LSInc.biz
Thu Feb 19 14:28:32 PST 2004

Hey All,

As I discussed with Jim, Lilliputian would like to put Yttria-stabilized
Zirconia into the STS etcher. We have experience from an STS at Silicon
Microstructures indicating that no etching of the YSZ occurs.

In the attached files:
You will see in the RBS and PIXE data that the film consists of Zirconium,
Yttrium, and Hafnium, fully oxidized, sitting on SiO2. Yttria stabilized
Zirconia is widely investigated as a new gate dielectric, and I have
attached one recent article which comments on the excellent thermodynamic
stability with respect to silicon. Hafnia has almost identical chemical
properties to Zirconia, and so is also investigated for gate dielectrics;
attached is a paper which discusses both Zr and Hf.

Thank you,
Sam

Samuel B. Schaevitz
Lilliputian Systems, Inc.