Baby Oil approval for use in SNF cleanroom

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 8 16:19:27 PST 2004

Hi all --

I spoke with Brian about this.  He's talking about adding a drop or two of baby oil to float a thin film on top of 49% HF.  The purpose is to etch tip of his fiberoptic while preventing
fumes from corroding the rest of it -- pretty clever.  Since HF isn't an oxidizer, and because he's using a miniscule amount, (the container will be very small) I think it should be OK to
pour this down the HF drain.  He will rinse several times, pouring this down the HF drain, and then rinse the container with acetone at wbsolvent to remove traces of baby oil.

Does this sound OK to you?

Mary

"J. Brian Leen" wrote:

> 1. Requestor: Brian Leen
> 2. Phone: 5.3301
> 3. bleen at stanford.edu
> 4. Advisor: Lambertus Hesselink
>
> 5. Chemical Name(s): Baby Oil, Mineral Oil
> 6. The chemical will be used in conjunction with HF 49%.
> 7. Johnson & Johnson
> 8. http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/products/oil/baby-oil
> 9. See MSDS.
> 10. The process goal is to etch optical fibers to a fine point.  The oil
> will be used to form a limited meniscus in the HF and to protect the rest of
> the fiber from acid vapors.  See attached papers for more details.
> 11. To my knowledge, no other oils with known prosperities in this situation
> are approved (fomblin oil is the only other approved oil and is not
> desirable).
> 12. This will be used at WBGeneral and residual oil will be cleaned off at
> WBSolvent.
> 13. Quantity will be ~14oz bottle.
> 14. State is liquid.
> 15. No mixing is required.
> 16. MSDS @ http://stanford.chemquik.com/default.asp?LinkNum=DOL%2E239303
> 17. NA
> 18. NA
> 19. No special storage required
> 20. Disposal will be down the HF drain.
> 21. Attached

>                                                                                                  Name: Method to produce high-resolution scanning near-field optical microscope probes.pdf
>    Method to produce high-resolution scanning near-field optical microscope probes.pdf           Type: Portable Document Format (application/pdf)
>                                                                                              Encoding: base64
>                                                                                       Download Status: Not downloaded with message
>
>                                                                                 Name: Chemically etched fiber tips for near-field optical microscopy.pdf
>    Chemically etched fiber tips for near-field optical microscopy.pdf           Type: Portable Document Format (application/pdf)
>                                                                             Encoding: base64
>                                                                      Download Status: Not downloaded with message
>
>                                          Name: HF-Oil tip etch process.doc
>    HF-Oil tip etch process.doc           Type: WINWORD File (application/msword)
>                                      Encoding: base64
>                               Download Status: Not downloaded with message

National Nanofabrication Users' Network
mtang at stanford.edu