New Material registering request [Zipcone]

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 26 07:28:05 PST 2004

Hi Tetsushiro --

I'm responding to your request, although this is really in Mahnaz's area and she
should have the final word...

I've two concerns.  First, is fumes.  This looks like conventional RTV formulation,
but UV-curable -- which means it generates acetic acid fumes on curing and should be
used in a well-ventilated area.  The headway is a well-ventilated area (provided
proper procedures are followed).  But the aligners are not (the air in the litho area
outside of the hoods is recirculated to >90%).  Do you plan to use the aligners for
UV-cure?  If so, we need to talk.  Basically, we need to make sure that prior to
curing that this material doesn't generate fumes in the lab outside the exhausted
areas...

Second, is that the stuff gets everywhere...  Handling is very important and being
able to clean up any spills, smears, etc. is important.  Spin chucks will need to be
cleaned.  And any labware that the substrates come into contact with (unless you
provide your own.)

Lastly, I don't know of anyone who has etched RTV silicone in the drytek2, but would
be interested in your results.  I do know of a group that etches silicone elastomer
(PDMS) with some success, so would suggest that if you don't already have a recipe,
that you contact them (let me know -- I've got the contact info somewhere...)

Oh, and one more question.  How often do you plan to use this?  If you plan to use
this routinely, then you will need a yellow tag from Mahnaz to store it in the lab.
If it is a one-time evaluation, we'd much prefer that you keep this in your own lab
(as personal chemical storage is limited at SNF.)

Thanks!

Mary

National Nanofabrication Users' Network
mtang at stanford.edu