Chemical Request

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 2 07:25:16 PST 2004

Hi all --

This seems OK to me, as long as the actual mixing of the silicone rubbers are done outside the lab.  They can then be brought in and used.  The mesitylene can be added to the silicone at the solvent benches -- although you might want to do this outside the lab as well, if you plan to degas the silicones after dilution.   (The silicone monomer is basically silicone oil, and it can easily migrate between surfaces -- if it gets on processing glassware, it can prevent resist adhesion.  The mixed silicone cures into something that's inert and easily peeled off.  So, as a rule, it's best to keep
mixing of silicones outside the lab.)  The trimethylbenzene, like all aromatics, is probably a carcinogen and smells strongly, so extra care should be taken to ensure that this solvent and the silicone rubbers diluted with this solvent should be handled only in exhausted areas and tightly covered whenever transporting outside the exhausted areas.

People have routinely used toluene to dilute PDMS for spin at the headway.  This is very much the same, although the trimethylbenzene is probably even safer.

Unless other SpecMat'ers weigh in on this, I think we can consider this approved.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu