Ruthenium Oxide

Tue Mar 2 14:47:31 PST 2004

All,

A new user ( Jim Kruger) wants to dep Ru (mp 2300C) in the Metallica,
cover it with SiO2 in the STS PECVD tool, wet etch the SiO2 and then
sputter etch the Ru in the MRC. Ru by itself is not toxic and not a
problem. The problem is that one of its oxides (RuO4) is very toxic and
and a has high vapor pressure (mp 25C and BP 130C). The cas number for
RuO4 is 20427-56-9.  However, it does not form RuO4 very easily.
Ruthenium is largely immune to atmospheric attack. On heating with oxygen
(800C in air), ruthenium metal gives ruthenium (IV)  oxide, RuO2. THe MDSD
says to avoid strong oxidizers so I assume it probably form RuO4 in HNO3
or H2SO4. Kruger's note below inducates that RuO4 is formed in a O2
plasma.

What do you think? Sputtering etch Ru in the MRC is problably a problem
since a lot of O2 plasma work gets done is there. Metalica is probably not
a problem since the Ru will be quickly buried and we are not currently
doing any O2 reactive sputtering in it. STS dep may also be a problem
since you use a N2/SiH4/O2 mix to deposition PECVD oxide.

	Jim