Ruthenium Oxide

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 4 07:07:12 PST 2004

Hi Jim --

Can we find another etch for RuO2?  A quick search turns up several references
in which RuO2 is layered with other conductive oxides to form electrodes for
ferromagnetic applications -- and it looks like Cl2/O2 is used in a couple of
them (again, this is just a quick glance-through -- I don't know what kind of
systems were used, but would imagine that this might be a more chemical than
physical etch and that they were loadlocked, as all Cl2 systems are, so there
would be little risk of exposure.)  Can the pquest be used?  (I can see the
GaAs people cringing now.)  As for the STS dep tool -- I would guess that once
the material is capped that there is little risk of forming RuO4?  If so,
would it be possible to use spin-on-glass to cap the Ru, cure at 400C, and
then use STS dep?  Or maybe use SOG instead of STS dep?  (I guess it depends
on how thick it needs to be and whether the device can handle the high stress
of SOG... This would be a wonderful use of the P5000 TEOS, don't you think?)

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu