Benzene

Vignesh G Shankar vigneshg at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 18 17:36:00 PST 2004

To the SpecMat Committee,

Subject: Approval to use benzene

1. Vignesh Gowrishankar
2. 650 736 0268
3. vigneshg at stanford.edu
4. Prof. Michael McGehee
5. Chemical: Benzene
6. none
7. Aldrich (or other standard supplier)
8.
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/Distributed/HahtShop/HAHTpage/frmCatalogSearchPost?Brand=ALDRICH&ProdNo=270709
9.
         Sigma-Aldrich Corporate Offices
         Sigma-Aldrich
         3050 Spruce St.
         St. Louis, MO 63103
         1-800-521-8956

10.I need to spin coat a block copolymer with benzene as my solvent, for
which I need a powerful "fume hood" / exhaust.
11.Benzene is the only solvent that works for what I need.
12. Headway
13. 100 ml (for starters)
14. liquid
15. Benzene will be the solvent for a block copolymer (PS-b-PEO)
16. attached
17. L (I think)
18. Purity: 99.9 %
19. not sure yet
20. not sure yet
21. Process Flow: Place Si piece on Headway, spin and flush with benzene.
Stop spinner, drop a couple of drops of block-copolymer (PS-b-PEO) benzene
solution and spin again to spin coat. Place Si pieces with spin coated
samples in an atmosphere saturated with benzene (under an overturned beaker
for e.g.) for a few hours.