Poly (styrene-b-ethyleneoxide)

Vignesh G Shankar vigneshg at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 18 17:46:22 PST 2004

To the SpecMat Committee,

Subject: Approval to use Poly (styrene-b-ethyleneoxide)

1. Vignesh Gowrishankar
2. 650 736 0268
3. vigneshg at stanford.edu
4. Prof. Michael McGehee
5. Chemical: Poly (styrene-b-ethyleneoxide)
6. Will need benzene as solvent
7. "Homemade" at IBM Almaden
8.  unavailable
9. unavailable

10. I need to spin coat the block copolymer with benzene as my solvent, for
which I need a powerful "fume hood" / exhaust.
11. This block copolymer self-assembles to give me the structures I need.
Benzene is the only solvent that works for what I need.
12. Headway
13. 10 ml
14. Solution
15. Benzene will be the solvent for this block copolymer (PS-b-PEO)
16. MSDS for the individual blocks are available. They are attached
17. Will not need to store in SNF
18. Purity: unknown
19. not sure yet
20. not sure yet
21. Process Flow: Place Si piece on Headway, spin and flush with benzene.
Stop spinner, drop a couple of drops of block-copolymer (PS-b-PEO) benzene
solution and spin again to spin coat. Place Si pieces with spin coated
samples in an atmosphere saturated with benzene (under an overturned beaker
for e.g.) for a few hours.