List of solvents on Web site?

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sat May 22 17:44:32 PDT 2004

Adrian:

While I can't comment on the status of the list of solvents on the web-site,
I think that you may need to look elsewhere.  For starters, there are very
few solvents that will dissolve metals.  Secondly, copper is a pretty
difficult material to etch ... either wet or dry ... and just about anything
that will etch copper is going to remove aluminum.  Plus, using copper
merely as a sacrificial layer, seems to limit where you can do additional
processing ... at least relative to the number of places where silicon and
aluminum can be processed.

I'd back up and try to find a more suitable sacrificial layer than copper
... and then try to find something that can remove that without touching
aluminum or silicon.  Without knowing more about the structure you are
trying to build, I can't really suggest any alternatives.

Good luck,

John