New Materials Question

Michael Hren hren at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 1 11:06:38 PST 2004

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a graduate student in the Dept. of Geological & Environmental
Sciences and am looking to become a laboratory user.  I am working on
the effect of microbial biofilms on the chemical dissolution and
alteration of mineral surfaces.  As such, I am interested in using the
Zygo White Light profilometer to examine mineral surfaces.  I have
contacted Mary Tang and Uli Thumser and was directed to contact the
committee to obtain approval to bring the materials I am using into the
facility.  Specifically, what I am looking to use on the Zygo
profilometer is the following:

First option:

1) the mineral apatite.  The chemical formula for this mineral is
Ca5(PO4)3F.  This is in solid form, does not crumble or break apart
easily, and will be present in pieces the size of a dime.

Second Option:

2) the mineral apatite embedded in an 1 cm round, 4 mm thick, diamond
polished hardened epoxy disc  The epoxy is comprised only of C, O, H,
and N.  Specifically, it is made by Struers, and is identified as the
EPOES Epoxy Resin and EPOAR hardener.  (Additionally, if allowable,
this type of sample may be coated with a thin carbon coating (<1
micron).

If there is someone specific with whom I can discuss the details of
this proposed work I would be happy to further explain this study and
the planned materials.  Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Michael Hren

Michael T. Hren
Dept. of Geological & Environmental Sciences
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305