Deep Level Impurities (fwd)

Wed Nov 3 13:22:21 PST 2004

All,

THis is the reply I got from Baylor regarding deep level metal impurities
such as Ni.

	Jim

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:14:19 -1000
From: Baylor Triplett <baylortriplett at earthlink.net>
To: Jim McVittie <mcvittie at cis.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: Deep Level Impurities

Jim,
     Deep levels are a problem...if they get into the wafer or more
precisely    the channel. But, since the channel has gotten very shallow
and CMOS processing has gotten very good....these impurities don't
matter nearly as much as they used to. Just make sure the BACK side of
the wafer is protected by oxide or nitride (preferably the latter) and
keep the contamination away from wafers undergoing high temperature
processing like RTA anneals or dopant activation. This means cleaning
the wafers before and after the sputtering step.
      By the way, Ni is a known problem if it gets into the wafer...but
for Stanford yields...who cares whether the yield of research devices is
85% or 95%
      As far as Mn goes, I don't know whether it has a deep level or not
but since it has d-band magnetism, I assume it does and thus is likely
to be a problem like Cu, Ni, and Fe. Titanium is the only d band
materials (with 0 d electrons) completely free of this problem.

Baylor