approval of sodium sulfide solution

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 13 15:14:02 PDT 2004

John,

Sung-Woo was suppose to have sent this request to me before sending to
specmat. Today, Bob gave us the ok to dispose the mixture down the acid
drain. The plan is for me to mix the sodium suflide with DI in the
Givens lab.  Below is the MSDS sodium sulfide.    Jim

------------
Material Safety Data Sheet
acc. to OSHA and ANSI
  Printing date 06/14/2004 Reviewed on 05/21/2004

[TOP]
  1 Identification of substance:

Product details:

Product name: Sodium sulfide

Stock number: 36622

Manufacturer/Supplier:
Alfa Aesar, A Johnson Matthey Company
Johnson Matthey Catalog Company, Inc.
30 Bond Street
Ward Hill, MA 01835-8099
Emergency Phone: (978) 521-6300
CHEMTREC: (800) 424-9300
Web Site: www.alfa.com

Information Department: Health, Safety and Environmental Department

Emergency information:
During normal hours the Health, Safety and Environmental Department.
After normal hours call Chemtrec at (800) 424-9300.

[TOP]
  2 Composition/Data on components:

Chemical characterization:
Sodium sulfide, nonahydrate (CAS# 1313-84-4), 100%

Identification number(s):

EINECS Number: 215-211-5

EU Number: 016-009-00-8

[TOP]
  3 Hazards identification

Hazard description:
C Corrosive
N Dangerous for the environment

Information pertaining to particular dangers for man and environment
R 31 Contact with acids liberates toxic gas.
R 34 Causes burns.
R 50 Very toxic to aquatic organisms.

Classification system

HMIS ratings (scale 0-4)

  (Hazardous Materials Identification System)
Health (acute effects) = 3
Flammability = 1
Reactivity = 2

[TOP]
  4 First aid measures

General information
Immediately remove any clothing soiled by the product.

After inhalation
Supply fresh air. If required, provide artificial respiration. Keep
patient warm.
Seek immediate medical advice.

After skin contact
Immediately wash with water and soap and rinse thoroughly.
Seek immediate medical advice.

After eye contact
Rinse opened eye for several minutes under running water. Then consult a
doctor.

After swallowing Seek immediate medical advice.

[TOP]
  5 Fire fighting measures

Suitable extinguishing agents Extinguishing powder. Do not use water.

For safety reasons unsuitable extinguishing agents Water

Special hazards caused by the material, its products of combustion or
  resulting gases:
In case of fire, the following can be released:
Hydrogen sulfide

Protective equipment:
Wear self-contained respirator.
Wear fully protective impervious suit.

[TOP]
  6 Accidental release measures

Person-related safety precautions:
Mount respiratory protective device.
Wear protective equipment. Keep unprotected persons away.
Ensure adequate ventilation

Measures for environmental protection:
Do not allow material to be released to the environment without proper
governmental permits.

Measures for cleaning/collecting:
Use neutralizing agent.
Dispose contaminated material as waste according to item 13.
Ensure adequate ventilation.

Additional information:
See Section 7 for information on safe handling
See Section 8 for information on personal protection equipment.
See Section 13 for disposal information.

[TOP]
  7 Handling and storage

Handling

Information for safe handling:
Handle under dry protective gas.
Keep container tightly sealed.
Store in cool, dry place in tightly closed containers.
Ensure good ventilation at the workplace.

Information about protection against explosions and fires:
Reacts with acids forming hydrogen sulfide

Storage

Requirements to be met by storerooms and receptacles:
No special requirements.

Information about storage in one common storage facility:
Do not store together with acids.
Store away from water/moisture.
Store away from oxidizing agents.

Further information about storage conditions:
Store under dry inert gas.
Keep container tightly sealed.
Store in cool, dry conditions in well sealed containers.
Store under lock and key and with access restricted to technical experts
or their assistants only.

[TOP]
  8 Exposure controls and personal protection

Additional information about design of technical systems:
Properly operating chemical fume hood designed for hazardous chemicals
and having an average face velocity of at least 100 feet per minute.

Components with limit values that require monitoring at the workplace:
Not required.

Additional information: No data

Personal protective equipment

General protective and hygienic measures
The usual precautionary measures for handling chemicals should be
followed.
Keep away from foodstuffs, beverages and feed.
Remove all soiled and contaminated clothing immediately.
Wash hands before breaks and at the end of work.
Avoid contact with the eyes and skin.

Breathing equipment:
Use suitable respirator when high concentrations are present.

Protection of hands: Impervious gloves

Eye protection:
Safety glasses
Tightly sealed goggles
Full face protection

Body protection: Protective work clothing.

[TOP]
  9 Physical and chemical properties:

General Information

Form: Crystalline

Color:
Colorless
Yellow

Odor: Like rotten eggs

                                     Value/Range  Unit    Method

Change in condition

Melting point/Melting range:                   920 ° C     (dec)

Boiling point/Boiling range:       Not determined

Sublimation temperature / start:   Not determined

Flash point:                       Not applicable

Ignition temperature:              Not determined

Decomposition temperature:         Not determined

Explosion limits:

Lower:                             Not determined

Upper:                             Not determined

Vapor pressure:                    Not determined

Density:               at   20 ° C           1.427 g/cm³

Solubility in / Miscibility with

Water:                 at   10 ° C             154 g/l

[TOP]
 10 Stability and reactivity

Thermal decomposition / conditions to be avoided:
Decomposition will not occur if used and stored according to
specifications.

Materials to be avoided:
Acids
Oxidizing agents
Water/moisture
Aluminum/aluminum alloys.
Copper
Light

Dangerous reactions Reacts with acids forming hydrogen sulfide

Dangerous products of decomposition:
Hydrogen sulfide
Metal oxide fume

[TOP]
 11 Toxicological information

Acute toxicity:
LD/LC50 values that are relevant for classification:
Oral: LD50: 205 mg/kg (mus)
LD50: 208 mg/kg (rat)

Primary irritant effect:

on the skin:
Corrosive effect on skin and mucous membranes.
Irritant to skin and mucous membranes.

on the eye:
Strong corrosive effect.
Irritating effect.

Sensitization: No sensitizing effects known.

Subacute to chronic toxicity:
Corrosive materials are acutely destructive to the respiratory tract,
eyes, skin and digestive tract.  Eye contact may result in permanent
damage and complete vision loss.  Inhalation may result in respiratory
effects such as inflammation, edema, and chemical pneumonitis.  May
cause coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache,
nausea and vomiting.  Ingestion may cause damage to the mouth, throat
and esophagus.  May cause skin burns or irritation depending on the
severity of the exposure.
Sulfides show variable toxicity.  The alkaline sulfides are similar in
action to alkalies.  They cause irritation of the skin and are corrosive
by ingestion.  The heavy metal sulfides are generally insoluble and show
little toxic action except through the liberation of hydrogen sulfide.
Hydrogen sulfide, if generated, is toxic, a severe irritant and
flammable.  Effects include conjunctivitis, headache, nausea, dizziness,
coughing, pulmonary edema and possibly death.

Additional toxicological information:
Swallowing will lead to a strong corrosive effect on mouth and throat
and to the danger of perforation of esophagus and stomach.
To the best of our knowledge the acute and chronic toxicity of this
substance is not fully known.
No classification data on carcinogenic properties of this material is
available from the EPA, IARC, NTP, OSHA or ACGIH.

[TOP]
 12 Ecological information:

Ecotoxical effects:

Remark: Very toxic for fish

General notes:
Also poisonous for fish and plankton in water bodies.
Do not allow material to be released to the environment without proper
governmental permits.
Very toxic for aquatic organisms

[TOP]
 13 Disposal considerations

Product:

Recommendation
Consult state, local or national regulations to ensure proper disposal.

Uncleaned packagings:

Recommendation:
Disposal must be made according to official regulations.

[TOP]
 14 Transport information

DOT regulations:

Hazard class:             8

Identification number:    UN1849

Packing group:            II

Proper shipping name (technical name):
                          Sodium sulphide, hydrated

Land transport ADR/RID  (cross-border)

ADR/RID class:            8 Corrosive substances

Item:                     45b

Danger code (Kemler):     80

UN-Number:                1849

Description of goods:     Sodium sulphide, hydrated

Maritime transport IMDG:

IMDG Class:               8

UN Number:                1849

Packaging group:          II

Proper shipping name:     Sodium sulphide, hydrated

Air transport ICAO-TI and IATA-DGR:

ICAO/IATA Class:          8

UN/ID Number:             1849

Packaging group:          II

Proper shipping name:     Sodium sulphide, hydrated

[TOP]
 15 Regulations

Product related hazard informations:

Hazard symbols:
C Corrosive N Dangerous for the environment

Risk phrases:
31 Contact with acids liberates toxic gas.
34 Causes burns.
50 Very toxic to aquatic organisms.

Safety phrases:
26 In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water
and seek medical advice.
45 In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice
immediately.
61 Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special
instructions/Safety data sheets

National regulations
All components of this product are listed in the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency Toxic Substances Control Act Chemical substance
Inventory.

Information about limitation of use:
For use only by technically qualified individuals.

[TOP]
 16 Other information:

Employers should use this information only as a supplement to other
information gathered by them, and should make independent judgement of
suitability of this information to ensure proper use and protect the
health and safety of employees.  This information is furnished without
warranty, and any use of the product not in conformance with this
Material Safety Data Sheet, or in combination with any other product or
process, is the responsibility of the user.

Department issuing MSDS: Health, Safety and Environmental Department.

Contact: Darrell R. Sanders