approval of sodium sulfide solution

Sung-Woo Kim toadking at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 13 16:09:05 PDT 2004

Thanks, everyone.
Attached is the MSDS of Na2S.

Sung-Woo

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Tang [mailto:mtang at snf.stanford.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 7:12 AM
To: John Shott
Cc: Sung-Woo Kim; specmat at snf.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: approval of sodium sulfide solution

Hi Sung-Woo --

In addition, could we get the following information:

1.  Where will you be using this?  I take it that if you are doing an
electrochemical etch, that this will be done at wbgaas.  There are
certain limits to the use of wbgaas for this purpose.  Uli Thumser and
Jim Haydon have worked out a procedure for setting up an electrochemical
process there (safe electrical hookup, secondary containment,
notification to other users of the bench, etc.)  Please make sure to
talk with them.  It would be really, really nice if we could persuade
you to write up the procedure (or checklist) as part of your SpecMat
request.  How much (volume?) do you plan to use at each etching session?

2.  Please be more specific about how you plan to dispose of the waste.
Because it is used for etching Cu, the used etchant cannot be disposed
of down the AWN drain.  However, because sulfide solutions can generate
H2S gas in the presence of acids, I'm thinking it's not a good idea that
the unused etchant is disposed of down  AWN drain either, since it will
mix with acids (although, granted, everything is diluted.)  I would
recommend being on the safe side and collecting unused etchant that you
do not plan for hazardous waste pickup.  I would also suggest that if we
can avoid storing this in the chemicals passthrough, that would be
ideal.  (I don't think it would really be "unsafe" but there is the
possibility of  vapors mixing, if things are not capped tightly.)  And
although it is inconvenient, mixing up a fresh batch each time you want
to do an etch might be a good way to avoid the issue of storage (it
might also help with ensuring a more reproducible etch!)  If you do plan
to mix the solution outside the lab, please use an acid bench or fume
hood designed for this purpose -- H2S might be generated and it's not
good for you.  Also, the crystals can form sulfuric acid on contact with
moisture (so avoid getting this stuff in your eyes!)  If the MSDS does
not provide specific handling info, I suggest you check on the internet
-- sodium sulfide solutions are frequently used on chem labs and photo
developing, so there are lots of procedures (and precautions!) listed.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu