toluene in lab

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 25 15:50:56 PDT 2004

Hi Shaunak --

We generally ask that an MSDS sheet accompany a SpecMat request.  I've
found a pretty good one for toluene here.
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3913.htm

As you can see from the MSDS, the PEL for toluene is about 200 ppm
(TWA).  This is at a manageable level, although still requires
considerable care in handling (must work in fully exhausted areas --
i.e., behind the red line on solvent-compatible benches -- this stuff
smells strongly and is linked to DNA damage, tumors, reproductive
problems.)  Toluene also has a low flash point (4 C) and so we'd prefer
that only small amounts be used.  (How much do you want to bring in?)

We also ask where this process will be done and where the wafers will go
after processing.  From your question, it seems that the headway coater
is what you would like to use.  I trust you plan to do a post-spin bake
-- if so, you must place your wafer into an enclosed container (box) and
transport it to the bake station, even if it is the hot plate right next
to the headway (this is because you have to leave the exhausted area to
get to the hot plate.)

Are there any other stations you wish to use?

Solid waste should be collected in tightly closed plastic bags and
placed in the flammables waste container.

Do you plan to store your chemical in the lab or will you take the
chemical with you?

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu