High T GaAs processing request

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 14 10:31:21 PDT 2004

Hi Mike --

We've got a request from a labmember to do some high T  GaAs processing
in the gaas22 or gaas23 furnaces.  It's the Group4 people who are
requesting this on behalf of a collaborator (and potential new
labmember).  The substrates they would like to bond are silicon carbide
and GaAs.  The collaborator who assures us that he has many years of
experience doing this and similar bonding processes at Santa Barbara and
IBM or HP.  The process involves encasing the substrates (which will be
small pieces) in a graphite fixture.  They would like to have the
flexibility of going up to 800 C.

We have safety concerns.  I understand from Dick that he’s spoken with
you about this and that you have similar concerns.    Could you describe
your concerns?  Or better yet, give your judgement on the safety issues
on this process?

By the way, we thought there may be issues with these furnaces and
wonder if it might be possible to offer the Thermolyne furnace as an
alternative, provided they can demonstrate that there are no safety
concerns with outgassing.  Do you think this could be a viable solution?

mtang at stanford.edu