High T GaAs processing request

Michael Deal mdeal at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 14 10:53:15 PDT 2004

My concerns are that above about 400C, GaAs outgasses significant arsenic
vapor.  When we did high temperature anneals of GaAs (10-15 years ago) in
the range of 700-900C, we had a set of procedures and requirements to
ensure safety.  These included:
1. the GaAs must be encapsulated in PECVD silicon oxide or nitride.  In
addition, the GaAs was placed between two 4inch Si wafers during the anneal.
2. We had a procedure for pushing and pulling the wafers out of the
furnace, which included using an "elephant" tube at the front during the
pull as well as letting the wafer cool for 1 hour at the front of the
furnace in the cool zone before removing the wafer carrier.
3. Doing periodic arsenic contamination testing, including both wipe tests
on wetbench surfaces and surfaces around the outside of the furnace, as
well as airborne testing around the furnace.
4. A separate GaAs waste bucket was utilized.
We had similar procedures for using the RTA, including buidling an
evacuated enclusure around it.

After the Plummer GaAs research was ended (which I was in charge of and
Robin King helped with), we allowed Prof. Harris' group to use the top PWS
furnace tube for some AlGaAs annealing, but he was responsible for
that.   It is my understanding that the PWS furnace stack will be removed
as part of the 6 inch conversion.
As far as using another furnace, in light of the above considerations, I
would be very hesitant to allow high temperature processing of GaAs. I
think we would only allow it if similar procedures were used, including
arsenic contamination analyses, requiring an evacuated chamber around any
furnace, and having an SNF tech be responsible for overseeing the
processing and testing.
                                                 -mike