[Fwd: Re: Follow up...]

Dick Crane rcrane at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 5 13:39:38 PDT 2005

All,

I have two concerns about the request to evaporate WO3.  I have not
evaporated this material, but while it sounds like it is mildly tricky
given the outgassing and subliming qualities, I suspect it would
evaporate reasonably well. The first concern is that when evaporating
metal oxides, an oxygen partial pressure is typically needed. The
Innotec is not set up for this. The second concern is that the film
stress would cause flaking of the shields and make a mess for other
users. This is unacceptable. Tom Carver will no longer sputter this
material in his vac chambers because of the resulting mess.

Try Goddard and Asc.? Scientific Coatings?

Dick