Black wax for KOH etching

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 7 12:16:59 PDT 2005

Hi Jun --

The manufacturer is Apeizon (www.apiezon.com).  Although black wax is
approved for use in certain tools (like KOH etching, w/gold contaminated
lab ware), the commonly used solvent for removal, Borothene, is not
approved for use in the lab.  There are other solvents which are said to
remove black wax which might meet with SpecMat approval.  If you wish to
use black wax in the lab and be able to remove it here, please do suhmit
a request to SpecMat and maybe we can design a procedure that is safe
and effective for use in the lab.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu