Studying cartilage in SEM

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 12 10:23:43 PDT 2005

Hi Paul --

I'm so glad you wrote!  -- I meant to get back to you much sooner, but
had lost your contact info.

Not that I really want to turn customers away, but I was wondering if
you had considered using the Beckman Cell Sciences Imaging Facility
instead (http://taltos.stanford.edu/).  Although we do have a critical
point dryer and SEM that would suffice for your needs, we really are
designed to be a fabrication lab, not an analytical lab.  We completely
lack the expertise to help you with your samples -- we could train you
on the tools, but then sample prep (which is, as you probably know, 98%
of the success in SEMming a biological sample) would be completely up to
you.  And, you would be sharing with people making devices, so the
systems are really not set up for biological analysis.  Beckman has a
critical point dryer and SEM -- and most importantly, experts who know
how to prep and image your samples.

If there is a reason that you would rather not use the Beckman center, I
would really like to know, as we generally refer people with biological
samples there.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu