New chemicals

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 23 11:39:46 PDT 2005

Hi Sora --

Thanks, this is pretty much the info we need, in addition to MSDS for
each of the chemicals.

Although your process is generally do-able, I would strongly recommend
several changes. The octadecyltrichloroethoxysilane or methoxysilane
versions of OTS are much safer and less chemically reactive than the
trichlorosilane version. There are several good, documented processes
for assembling monolayers using these (the process window is actually
quite wide.) You don't need to control the moisture in the solvent as
rigorously, and it lasts a lot longer (when you've opened the bottle of
the trichlorosilane, you've pretty much ruined what's left.) Also, if we
could avoid the use of chlorinated solvents (carbon tet and chloroform)
it would be a lot safer. We don't typically allow chloroform in our lab
because the TLV's is quite low. 90% ethanol (for the ethoxy- or
methoxy-silane versions of OTS) works quite well for SAM's.

The safer versions of OTS are available through United Chemical
Technologies. It's a little more expensive than the trichlorosilane, but
a lot safer and more reproducible. If you would like to try out the
safer protocols let me know and we can provide them. Or, you can contact
UCT -- the technical service people are extremely knowledgeable about SAM's.

If you really need this specific version, let's discuss it.

mtang at stanford.edu