New Chemical Request: V-40000 (Silicone and xylene mixture)

Neville Mehenti nmehenti at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 30 11:32:43 PDT 2005

Hello,
I would like to make a request to bring a new chemical into the cleanroom
for use in a process.
Below this email is the requested information for this new chemical
request, as outlined on the SNF website.
Please let me know if there is a problem or if you would like any more
information.
Thanks very much and hope to hear from you soon.
Regards,
Neville

1.  Name: Neville Mehenti; Coral: mehenti; Tel: (650)723-1669; Email:
nmehenti at stanford.edu, PI: Prof. Stacey F. Bent

2.  Trade name: V-40000; Common name: Silicone and xylene mixture
Composition: Xylene (52-65%, CAS 1330-20-7), Ethylbenzene (<13%, CAS
100-41-4), Silicone Elastomer (35%)
The MSDS is attached with this email as a pdf file.

3.  Manufacturer:  Rhodia Silicones
320 West Stanley Avenue, Ventura, CA 93001; Tel: (805)653-5638; url:
http://www.rhodia-silicones.com
Vendor: Factor II, Inc.
P.O. Box 1339, Lakeside, AZ 85929; Tel: (928)537-8387; url:
http://www.factor2.com/

4.  The reason I am requesting to bring this material into the lab is
because I am looking to spin thin (10-20 microns) silicone membranes on a
silicon-photoresist mold, and then peel them off to serve as components for
microfluidic devices.  I have been using standard polydimethylsiloxane
(PDMS), but the membranes are not strong enough to resist tearing during
later processing steps.  I tried curing a more rigid PDMS by increasing the
crosslinker/polymer ratio, but I will be later culturing neurons on the
membrane, and this non-stoichiometric ratio results in cell death through
the exposed dangling bonds.  This new material (V-40000) has superior
physical properties (tensile strenght, tear strength, etc.) when compared
to the PDMS, and is also supplied as a medical-grade product, which should
render it biocompatible with cell culture.  This new material would allow
me to make the key component in my integrated microfluidic device for
neurophysiological studies.

5.  I plan on using this chemical only at the Headway to spin membranes on
top of my silicon-photoresist molds.  I will pour about 3 milliliters of
the liquid chemical on each silicon-photoresist mold and spin for 60
seconds at the desired spin speed.  The molds will then be baked on a hot
plate for 20 minutes at 75 degrees C.  These wafers will undergo no further
processing at SNF.

6.  I am requesting to bring in 8 fluid ounces (~240 ml) of the chemical,
which is a clear, viscous liquid.  Unlike PDMS, the silicone comes in one
part, so no mixing is required.

7.  I would like to store my chemical at SNF, but would be willing to bring
in a small vial of the liquid each time I go in the fab if local storage is
denied for any reason by the Committee.  The material is flammable and
should not be stored with strong acids, bases, or oxidizing agents.  The
chemical should be stored with Storage Group L in the yellow solvent cabinet.

8.  There will be excess material collected on aluminum foil at the bottom
of the Headway after spin coating.  This foil will be wrapped up and sealed
in a ziploc bag, and like other flammable organics, will then be placed in
the carboy underneath the Litho wet bench