STSETCH2 holder

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 2 18:00:23 PST 2005

Chris,

Let me make some coments about the holder and STS2.

0. The present holder has a top Al ring exposed to the plasma during
etching.

1. Some years ago when we did contamination tests for all the etchers, we
ran wafers with and with the holder in STS1. We found a large Al
contamination level on wafers etched with the holder.

2. Over the years many users have reported grass problems when using the
holder. Grass or microtrenched is often associated with metal contamation,
especially Al contamination in F based Si etching. As you well know, the
holder does not always cause grass in the STS1. It appears to be an
contributing factor to grass formation.

3. STS2 runs at about 3X the rf power level than STS1 run, This means the
ion flux to the wafer is about 3X higher in STS2,

4. Sputter rates increase linearly with ion flux. Therefore, one expects 3X
the Al sputter rate for the present holder design in STS2. Thus, grass is
likely be a much worth problem with the holder in STS2.

5. The holder increases the thermal resistance between the wafer and the
chuck. With 3X the power heating is more of a problem in STS2.

6. I believe Elmer did try running the STS1 holder in STS2 while the STS2
startup engineer was here last year. My understanding in that the wafer
overheated.

7. The Al sputtering problem can be reduced by coating the exposede Al with
a polymer such as resist but it does not last long.

    Jim