Use of Ether in the Fab

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 8 16:38:15 PST 2005

Hi Ed, et al --

I believe John said that he heard another chemical involved in thie
incident was sodium azide.

Sodium azide is sort of like ether in that people take it for granted --
for example, you may use a lot of ether if you're working with lipids
and self-assembling systems -- sodium azide is commonly added to
solutions of DNA, for example, to prevent fungal and bacterial growth,
and is often added just as a matter of course

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/sodiumazide/basics/facts.asp.

I don't think that anyone would request this, but we might consider
adding it to the list, because I do have some concern that someone might
think it's pretty innocuous (and it is, in the concentrations used as a
preservative) and decide to mix some up.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu