I would like to use silicone rubber in the lab

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 2 12:11:34 PST 2005

Hi Yves --

We discussed your request in yesterday's SpecMat meeting.  I think this
is generally OK.  But we were also wondering if you had a chance to
explore some other tried-and-true solutions.  First, there is a nifty
little holder designed for protection of wafers during KOH etching.  Uli
has one of these or she can tell you where to purchase one.  Second,
some people have used silicone elastomer (Sylgard 184/PDMS as opposed to
the RTV your are using) for KOH etching.  It's a little nicer, because
you don't have acetic acid in it.  I believe it has been used up to 80C,
but don't know the results and would suggest you try this on test wafers
before doing your devices, if you are interested.  The third question
was which labware you intended to use...  If you are using a general-use
beaker and a gold-contaminated refluxer, then it's OK, because these are
not "clean" anyway.

In summary, please let us know if you have explored or will consider
these other solutions -- if these don't work for you for some reason,
please do let us know why, and then we can approve your RTV use (sorry,
we would rather not approve "just in case" because we would end up with
too many approved, but not-used, chemicals in the lab.)

mtang at stanford.edu