[Fwd: Thin film sputtered aluminum nitride wafer processing]

Michael Deal mdeal at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 3 09:04:12 PST 2005

Ed,
    I believe his AlN should be classified as semiclean because it is a
sputtered  material.   While AlN itself is much more stable than Al, etc,
(much higher melting point), the fact that it is sputtered should preclude
its use in "clean" tools, such as oxidation furnaces, epi, etc. since
sputtering  often deposits other metals.   This would be the same for
sputtered TiN, TaN, and even sputtered Si3N4 and Si.    (In fact, if he is
having the AlN sputtered at a vendor, we should make sure there is no gold
or iron contamination.)
                                                 -mike