NiV 93%/7% sputter targets in metallica

Dr. Alan Mark Myers amyers at
Thu Feb 10 12:38:54 PST 2005

Dear Specmat,
     Today I was busted for using a NiV target in metallica.  The reason Ni
is banned from metallica is that it is a magnectic material and the
magnetic field from the magnetron can not permeate the target to form the
characteristic high density plasma associated with magnetron sputtering.
When 7% Vanadium is added to the Ni, the magnetism of the target is
quenched and sputtering works fine.  The URL below shows that this is a
standard material for DC magnetron sputtering.
     Please let me know if you need any further infor mation regarding this