[Fwd: Re: Etching Nitride layers - P5000]

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 14 07:05:28 PST 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Etching Nitride layers - P5000
Date: 	Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:35:43 -0800
From: 	Ofer Levi <levi at snowmass.stanford.edu>
To: 	Jim McVittie <mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu>
CC: 	Mary Tang <mtang at snf.stanford.edu>, James Harris
<harris at snowmass.stanford.edu>, James Conway <jwc at snf.stanford.edu>
<420D332A.B1B20 at snf.stanford.edu>

Dear Jim,
I am using a ZEP E-beam resist for my patterns to create the Photonic
crystal sensor. The thickness of the ZEP resist layer after development
is  ~ 3000-3500 Ang. over silicon. I am evaluating the resist thickness
over my Quartz/SiNx samples now, but assume similar thickness.

I talked to Gigi today about etching in Pquest. He suggests that his data
shows 400/500 A/min. for etching SiNx using the Chlorine based recipe we
use for GaAs in Pquest. He estimated that the resist etch rate for the ZEP
resist will be ~ 1000 A/min. This is also what I get for the ZEP resist
etch rate at Drytek 1, using the Nitride etch recipe (F13/SF6 etch).
It is still ~ 2x better then PMMA for this ZEP resist etch rate but when
you try to etch the Nitride layer to a depth of 2500 Ang. you need ~ 5
minutes of etch for this Chlorine based recipe, and by that time the E-beam
resist will be long gone.

Gigi suggests to keep looking for a solution that will have good etching
performance with good side wall roughness using Fluorine based chemistry.
This is why I chose to look into using the P5000 machine for
etching.  Please also note that before deposition of any materials on my
sample in the PECVD, I overcoat the walls twice with a 2500 Ang. of Nitride
(one conditioning coat, and one calibration coat on Silicon wafer) so there
is not much that can come off the walls onto my sample at that point.
I can also further clean the sample after dicing (I am already using a
solvent clean, and an Piranha clean to the samples after dicing) to make
them clean. So, I see no major issue aside from the Chrome layer deposition
that may prevent my process from etching at the P5000 system. This Chrome
layer deposition is a common feature for people who use e-beam lithography
to get better writing performance and image resolution so it is a common
material in our process. At the moment I do remove this very thin (5 nm)
layer before etching.

I will be happy to further discuss this issue with you on Monday to look
into issues with my process, and finding good solutions to them. I will be
in the clean room most of the day since I write e-beam patterns on the
Raith from the morning.

Regards,
Ofer

mtang at stanford.edu