NiV 93%/7% sputter targets in metallica

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 14 10:15:13 PST 2005

Specmat,

Ni( 9%V) was developed as a barrier between Cu and Al. It is non-magnetic. V
has a low barrier pressure. Its vapor pressure curve lies next to Ti.  V has
the following safety ratings: Health =1, Flammability = 0, Reactivity  = 0. The
numbers for Ni are 3, 0, 0. Note we allow Ni in the SCT. The main downside for
NiV sputtering is that its films tends to have high stress.  This stress can be
reduced with high bias voltages (250V) which we do not have in the Metalica.
Since we have no restrictions concerning stress in the Metalica, it should be
allowed.

    Jim