New chemical approval request : Poly(styrene-b-methyl methacrylate)

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 11 07:13:17 PST 2005

Hi Li-Wen --

Thanks for your request. In principle, your PS:PMMA is fine to use in
the lab. However, there are additional considerations:

1. The TylanFGA tube is NOT what you want to use. This probably goes too
high for what you want (you'll char your polymer) and your material will
then contaminate the tube. Please review the procedures available
on-line for processing PMMA. There are a couple of BlueM ovens available
which are likely more appropriate for your needs. Let us know what
temperature process cycle you require for the PS/PMMA material. Please
also be aware that because you are using toluene, that you'll have to
take special precautions to ensure that your uncured material is always
kept either under an exhausted bench work area or in an enclosed box. We
do not want toluene vapors in the lab.

2. Make sure to review the MSDS for toluene. PS:PMMA is pretty inert --
toluene is not -- although you find it everywhere, it should be handled
carefully. Most MSDS sheets will not state this, but it is a suspected
carcinogen and should be handled only in a solvent hood. There is a
solvent hood available in the wafersaw room which you can use for mixing
your solutions. There is also a small scale there which you can use for
weighing. You will probably have to find your own labware to measure,
mix, and store your solutions.

3. The AFM, ellipsometer, and SEM should be used only on the cured material.

4. You will need a yellow Personal Chemicals label for each of your
PS:PMMA/Toluene bottles, if you plan to store this in the lab. If you
plan to dispose of it the same day you use it, then you can just use a
standard blue hazardous chemicals label. Please see Mahnaz about getting
a yellow label, if you need it.

5. You will need to take precautions in disposing only of the uncured
material. At the headway, solid waste should be enclosed in a sealed
plastic bag and then placed in the solid waste container for solvent
waste, under the lithosolv bench. Any liquid waste may be disposed of in
the solvent carboy at the lithosolv bench.

In summary, your request is not approved until you take care of #1 and
you understand and agree to abide by #2,3,4 & 5. Discuss your curing
cycle with Mahnaz and see if the standard PMMA process tools will work
for you.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu