Request to process LaAlO3 inside SNF

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 11 10:46:24 PST 2005

Specmat,

Here is some info I found on La2O3.

La2O3 is of interest as a new hi k material so it is thought to be a Si
device friendly material. Both La and its oxides have low vapor
pressures so there should no vapor transport during a FGA step.

La is  of the most reactive of the rare-earth metals. It oxidises
rapidly when exposed to air. Cold water attacks lanthanum slowly, and
hot water attacks it much more rapidly. The metal reacts directly with
elemental carbon, nitrogen, boron, selenium, silicon, phosphorus,
sulphur, and with halogens.

La2O3 has a melting point of 2307C and boiling point of 4200C. This
means it is very stable will not easily decompose. Under stability in ts
MSDS, I found the following:
   Stable: Stable.
   Conditions to Avoid: Protect from moisture.
   Materials to Avoid: Strong acids, Strong oxidizing agents Carbon
dioxide.

 Its safety ratings are: Health -- 2, Flammability -- 0, Reactivity --
1,