Request for Process approval

Brewer, Rhett T rhett.t.brewer at intel.com
Mon Jan 31 16:46:47 PST 2005

I would like to request formal approval to process a non-standard film
in Semi-clean equipment at SNF or determine experiments I need to run to
gain approval or find alternative processing solutions.  I would like to
begin processing in the next two weeks if at all possible.

The film in question is composed of silicon, oxygen, and palladium (Pd)
on a standard 4 inch silicon wafer.  In this film, there is no more than
4 to 5 monolayers worth of Pd and it may exist as silicide, metal, or
oxide.  This wafer will also have an Al2O3 film on it.

I would like to process this film stack in the following tools at the
specified temperatures when applicable:

P5000 - Poly etch chamber, Al etch chamber

Tylan tube furnace for annealing (whichever is appropriate - I assume
tylanfga) at 400C and 600 - 800 C (this temp not yet determined, but
will be in that range).

Tylanpsg for LTO deposition.  400C.

AMT 8110

Drytek 100

Gryphon or STC (Do I have that correct?  The new machine run by Ed
Myers) for metal deposition.

AG4108 Rapid Thermal Annealer
<http://snf.stanford.edu/Equipment/ag4108/ag4108.html>  (Semi-Clean
Mode) 600-800C

Additionally, I would like to request the ability to clean the wafers in
an appropriate wet bench (wbsilicide?)  The wafers will have to be
cleaned at several steps to strip resist and prepare them for entry into
these "semi-clean" tools.

Finally, I would like to coat this wafer with poly.  The tystar is the
perfect tool (I believe it is both semi-clean and can deposit doped
poly), but I understand it is going away.  I would like the ability to
put down either n-doped or undoped poly at up to 600C (I expect it will
be 580C).  I will say that during this process, the silicon, oxygen,
palladium film will be completely covered with Al2O3 (>10 nm).  The
Al2O3 will either be grown at SNF (new ALD chamber) or by an outside
vendor.  In either case, before a wafer is introduced into the poly
chamber from either the ALD or an outside vendor, I will check a test
wafer with TXRF for contaminants.

Eventually, the Al2O3 may be replaced by another high-k (HfO2 maybe).  I
just wanted to make you aware of that, but it is not urgent.

I would appreciate a timely response.  I would be happy to meet to
answer questions to clarify process and give any information that is
appropriate to ensure the compatibility of my process with the needs of
the lab.

Thank you.

Rhett Brewer

Intel Corporation