Protecting frontside features during backside etch for the P5000 etcher

cm_richter at att.net cm_richter at att.net
Tue Jul 19 12:53:29 PDT 2005

Dear SpecMat Committee:

I spoke to Jim regarding this after my inquiry. I asked if I could use resist to protect the frontsides of my wafer. From what I understood in our discussion, I was told that thinner resist is better since there is a less chance of reticulation on the surface which could result in shedding. I asked if I could try both 1um and 3 microns. I was told that in order to do this process I would need to have maintenence around to watch me do this. The test wafers were hardbaked overnight at 110C (~12 hours) instead of carbonizing it since I was told that I may have difficulty removing the resist.

Elmer and I placed some test wafers into the blue loading cassette so the vacuum wand can take these wafers into and out of the loadlock and back into the loading cassette. He found that the the major sources of scratches were coming from the vacuum wand as it is placing the wafer back to the blue loading cassettes. Elmer made some adjustments to the wand to mechanically release the wafers better, however, the results were not consistent. Some wafers were scratched more than others when these wafers were placed one at a time in the same slot in the blue cassette. Some wafers showed no scratches at all.

The scratches are located at the center of the wafer (about 0.5-1" diameter). Some new test wafers were then loaded manually into loadlock elevator and allow the vacuum wand take the wafers into the etching chamber. When the etch run was done and the wafers loaded back into the loadlock elevator by the vacuum wand, we saw very little to no scractching of the wafers..for either 1um or 3um resist. Some of these wafers that went through the test were my "good" wafers. After ashing the wafers, I saw very little to no scratching on the wafers. This working process continued a few more times with help from maintenence.

It looks like this process works, however when I relayed this information to Jim today, there was a concern about a buildup of particle contamination in the chamber(s) by scratched resist by the vacuum wand. Also, there was a concern how this can affect other processes. I was asked to discontinue the frontside resist protection until further notice.

I have a hard deadline coming up at the end of this month and would like to proceed with some more wafers that need to go into the P5000 for backside etching. If possible, I'd like to continue my processing as soon as possible and an approved process in writing agreed by all members of the Specmat committee.

Best regards,

Claudia

From: Ed Myers <edmyers at stanford.edu>