Fwd: Pt-Ir Targets for Metalica

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 26 08:11:36 PDT 2005

All,

Yesterday Mario pointed out, I missed including this request during our
last specmat meeting.  Mario has the targets and is waiting for specmat's
decisions.

 From the sputtering point of view, there should not be any problems.  My
only concern, as Mary pointed out is the toxicity of the conducting oxides
(Ru, Ir, Os and Rh) in the O4 state.  From what I remember Os and Ir are
the most toxic.  The more stable form are the O2 states, meaning you have
to force the materials in to the O4 state.  From a practical point I ran a
Ru/RuO2 process for 4 years and Elmer and I are still here to talk about it.

One limitation could be requiring lift-off instead of sputter etching in
the MRC.

Ed