Ammonium Sulfide at wbgen

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 8 07:17:55 PST 2005

Hi All --

 From what I glean from the MSDS, this is pretty handle-able stuff.
However, contact with acid liberates gas (probably ammonia and H2S --
not nice) and is pretty flammable.

Depending on what Abhijit says about his usage/process, I suggest we
recommend the following:

1.  If he plans to store at SNF, he should not bring in more than a 500
ml bottle.  This should be registered with a chemical inventory tag
(Mahnaz and Ed have these) and should be stored in the Flammables
cabinet with other compatible personal chemicals.

2.  This dip should be done at wbgeneral.  If the solution is dilute and
there is not much of it (say, less than 1% ammonium sulfide, no more
than 100 ml), then it can be aspirated.  If more concentrated and larger
volume, then waste should be collected locally.

This stuff will stink badly, so a warning to make sure that there are no
drips or spills, and make sure there is no inadvertent contact, is
important.

What do you all think?

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu