Fwd: Zn, Cd, S TXRF -> ZnCdS in Metallica

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 28 16:52:03 PST 2005

All,

I don't agree.  I feel we still need to control this process.  This is a
killer for our biological users and their gold substrates.  Sulphur
contamination of a gold surface inhibits almost all of the biological
surface attachment projects.  The TXRF data showed the sulphur to
be >150E14.  The other reason I feel we should control this process is the
way the system is used.  Typically each deposition is on a single
chip.  This greatly increases the number of required depositions and the
amount of sulphur in the system.

If our goal is to keep all materials with vapor pressures less than In out
of the vacuum system, then we can not provide this project an open
door.  We should limit the number of depositions allowed per month.  We
should only need to support this process until the new sputter is available.

Following the process down the line, these samples are also annealed in
RTAAG, a tool we have been telling users is semi-clean.  We should also
move their annealing process out of RTAAG, clean the system and get it back
to the advertised semiclean state.

Ed