[Fwd: Mobility data for Mn impurities in MBE devices]

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Thu May 5 17:23:20 PDT 2005

Betty,

My number one concern with Mn is its reported impurity level at 0.53 eV reported by Sze in 1969. Sze's data is not
always accurate in that he reports that Ge in Si has a deep level at 0.5 eV, which has not been seen in SiGe
devices. I would say the best thing you could do to get Mn into the SCT dep tool would be to see what levels other
researchers have found for Mn in Si. Or better yet, find some Si device paper where Mn is contact with Si did not
degarde carrier lifetime. Note that Goetzberger's gounp using capacitor studies in 1972 found that Mn had levels at
0.43 and 0.45eV. Since lifetime depends exponentially on the difference between the trap level and the mid-gap
energy (0.55eV), going from 0.53eV to 0.45ev is a big deal.

Regarding the effect of Mn on GaAs mobility, it has little or no meaning for Si devices.

    Jim