[Fwd: Mobility data for Mn impurities in MBE devices]

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Thu May 5 17:46:16 PDT 2005

Betty,

There appears to be no question that Mn can form deep (0.51 and 0.50eV) trap levels in Si.
See abstract below.  I will talk to Peter Griffin about the likelyhood of forming the observed Mn-B complexes.   Jim

Deep impurity levels and diffusion coefficient of manganese in silicon
H Nakashima, K Hashimoto - Cited by 1 - Web Search
>/> Deep impurity levels and diffusion coefficient of manganese in silicon. [Journal
of Applied Physics 69, 1440 (1991)]. H. Nakashima, K. Hashimoto. Abstract. ...
Journal of Applied Physics, 1991 - link.aip.org - adsabs.harvard.edu

Manganese-related deep levels in n- and p-type silicon have been investigated by deep
level transient spectroscopy and Hall effect. Two electron traps of Ec–(0.12±0.01) eV
and Ec–(0.41±0.01) eV, and a hole trap of Ev+(0.32±0.01) eV are found in manganese-doped
silicon. The energy levels of these traps correspond to the transitions between four
charge states (Mn–, Mn0, Mn + , Mn + + ) of interstitial manganese. An additional
donor-type electron trap of Ec–(0.51±0.02) eV is observed in the n-type samples, and
the trap can be tentatively assigned to substitutional manganese. Furthermore, an
electron trap of Ec–(0.50±0.02) eV is observed for n + p junction samples diffused with
manganese in boron-doped p-type silicon. The trap is attributed to the manganese-boron
complex, which is formed owing to the pairing reaction of interstitial manganese and
substitutional boron. From the investigation of the pairing reaction, the diffusion
coefficient DMn of interstitial manganese is determined in the temperature range 14–90 °C.
 It can be represented by the expression DMn=2.4×10–3 exp(–0.72/kT)cm2 s–1. Journal of
Applied Physics is copyrighted by The American Institute of Physics.

Other Papers:
Diffusion of manganese in silicon studied by deep-level transient spectroscopy and tracer

D Gilles, W Bergholz, W Schroeter - Cited by 2 - Web Search
>/> Diffusion of manganese in silicon studied by deep-level transient spectroscopy
and tracer measurements. [Journal of Applied Physics 59, 3590 (1986)]. ...
Journal of Applied Physics, 1986 - link.aip.org - adsabs.harvard.edu

Energy level of the 0 to+ charge transition of substitutional manganese in silicon
R Czaputa, H Feichtinger, J Oswald, H Sitter, M
 - Cited by 2 - Find It @ Stanford - Web Search
Energy Level of the 0 to + Charge Transition of Substitutional Manganese in
Silicon. R. Czaputa, H. Feichtinger, and J. Oswald Institut ...
Physical Review Letters, 1985 - link.aps.org - adsabs.harvard.edu - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov