New SNF Chemical (4 of 5): Propylamine

Bree Sharratt sharratt at stanford.edu
Wed May 18 12:41:30 PDT 2005

This is the 4th of 6 new materials requests.  The first 3 and last 2
materials are all various types of adhesion promoters and the 4th is a
catalyst.  Here is a list, in email order, of the new materials:

1.	Gamma-Methacryloxypropyltrimethoxysilane
2.	Gamma-Glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane
3.	Gamma-Aminopropyltrimethoxysilane
4.	Propylamine (this email)
5.	n-Propyl Titanate
6.	n-Propyl Zirconate

Since these are all being used for the same research project, the
description of the project and method will not change in subsequent
emails.  Also note that the reference paper, applicable in method to
the first four materials, is being attached to emails 1-4 to avoid (I
hope) confusion.  Please let me know if I need to further explain.

Thanks,
Bree

Contact Information:
Bree Sharratt
coral login: bree
office: 550-555C
office phone: 650 725 2634
mobile phone: 650 283 4835
home phone: 408 252 5545
email: sharratt at stanford.edu
PI: Prof. Reinhold H. Dauskardt (Materials Science & Engineering)

Chemical:
MSDS attached at the bottom of this email.

Chemical name:  propylamine
Product name:  n-propylamine
SYNONYM: 1-Aminopropane
SYNONYM: 1-Propanamine
SYNONYM: 1-Propylamine
SYNONYM: Mono-n-propylamine
SYNONYM: Monopropylamine
SYNONYM: N-Propylamine
SYNONYM: Propanamine

Components:
n-propylamine	CAS# 107-10-8		100.0%

Stanford Chemical Storage Group:  A: Compatible Organic Bases,
Flammables, and Poisons
Main Hazard Class:	flammable
Additional Hazards:	corrosive, moderately toxic, flammable, base,
mucous membrane damage, skin-absorbable poison

Secondary Chemicals Used with this Chemical:
Methanol
gamma-methacryloxypropyltrimethoxysilane
gamma-glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane

Supplier Information:
Alfa Aesar, A Johnson Matthey Company
Johnson Matthey Catalog Company, Inc.
30 Bond Street
Ward Hill, MA 01835-8099

contact:
emergency phone:		978 521 6300
CHEMTREC (24 hours)	800 424 9300
www.alfa.com

Reason for Request:   Please note that this description is repeated in
subsequent requests!
My experimental work involves exploring the effects of environmental
factors (temperature, relative humidity) and loading conditions (load
type, mean stress, frequency) on debonding of SiNx/Epoxy/SiNx sandwich
specimens.  After observing some interesting behavior, I am
investigating the effect that interface chemistry has on debonding.  To
accomplish this I will be spin-coating wafer pieces, which will be
sectioned from 8 inch Si/SiO2/SiNx wafers (provided by LSI Logic, Inc)
and etched in 50:1 HF, with 5 different adhesion promoting films.
These adhesion promoters were specially selected to mimic certain
functional groups and curing processes observed in other material
systems.  The following is a list of adhesion promoters that will be
used in this study (note that the first three are similar to AP3000 and
AP8000 already certified for use at SNF):

Gamma-Methacryloxypropyltrimethoxysilane
Gamma-Glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane
Gamma-Aminopropyltrimethoxysilane (similar to AP3000 already certified
for use at SNF)
n-Propyl Titanate
n-Propyl Zirconate

The first three adhesion promoters are silanes.  Silane solutions will
be stored and prepared in another Stanford lab (Peterson Bldg 550, Rm
551I) as follows:  1 part adhesion promoter will be dissolved in 100
parts deionized water, which will be diluted with 900 parts methanol to
produce a 0.1 wt% solution.  A few drops of propylamine will be added
as a catalyst for the hydrolysis reaction (except for
gamma-aminopropyltrimethoxysilane, which self-catalyzes).  This method
was used by Maura Jenkins (Stanford PhD 2002) and Jeff Snodgrass
(Stanford PhD 2001) in preparing wafers with similar adhesion promoter
films (AP3000 and AP8000) and is documented in "Important factors for
silane adhesion promoter efficacy: surface coverage, functionality and
chain length," also attached.

The zirconate and titanate adhesion promoter solutions will be prepared
to produce a 0.1 wt% solution using n-propanol.  A few drops of water
may be added to encourage hydrolysis, which will be determined
iteratively based on the results of the spin-coated film.

Process Flow:
For wafer pieces (Si/thermal SiO2/PECVD SiNx):
	1.	wbsolvent - mix 1 part adhesion promoter*:100 part deionized
water:900 parts methanol:few drops of propylamine - bottle, cap and bag
	2.	wbgeneral - clean wafer pieces in 50:1 HF, water rinse and blow dry
with N2, box
	3.	transport adhesion promoter solution, in cart, to laurel
	4.	laurel - spin-coat onto wafer pieces
For glass slides (UV ozone cleaned and boxed in 550-553B):
	1.	sts - deposit 200 nm SiNx
	2.	wbsolvent - mix 1 part adhesion promoter*:100 part deionized
water:900 parts methanol:few drops of propylamine - bottle, cap and bag
	3.	transport adhesion promoter solution, in cart, to laure
	4.	laurel - spin-coat onto wafer pieces
*the adhesion promoters used with propylamine are
gamma-methacryloxypropyltrimethoxysilane and
gamma-glycidoxypropyltrimethoxysilane

Amount and Form:
propylamine - 250 mL bottle, liquid form
to be added to adhesion promoter solutions

Storage:
Storage group A: Compatible Organic Bases, Flammables, and Poisons
Incompatible with: oxidizing agents, acids

Disposal:
Liquid and solid (gloves, wipes, etc) waste will be collected locally,
properly labeled and disposed of according procedures that will be
determined with the safety committee.

Attachments:
1.	MSDS for propylamine
2.	ML Jenkins, RH Dauskardt, JC Bravman, "Important factors for silane
adhesion promoter efficacy: surface coverage, functionality and chain
length." J Adhsion Sci Technol, 18(13), 1497-1516 (2004).