Graphite sputtering in metalica

Franklin, Nathan R nathan.r.franklin at intel.com
Wed May 25 15:17:07 PDT 2005

Jim

Thanks for your very quick response on my request to sputter Carbon on
metalica.  Your concerns on long term sputtering are highlighted in the
reference:

Resolving Carbon Sputter Issues
http://www.mksinst.com/eni-rcsi-TN.html

My target film thickness is roughly ~10nm, so I hope indeed that this
will be considered a "small amount of C sputtering."

I agree that for optimal sputtering, RF of pulsed operation would be
ideal.  From what I've been told metalica is not capable of RF
operation.  But is there some form of pulsed dc sputtering that is
possible?  The duty cycle mentioned in the above reference is 4 seconds
on, 1 second off.  A programmable pulse generator coupled to a "metalica
dc on/off switch" could possibly accomplish this.  If this is not a
feasible option, I'm very happy to do low power C sputtering for short
durations.

Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you
Nathan Franklin