New material

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 2 12:24:41 PST 2005

Hi Taka --

Transene etchant is allowed at wbgeneral for standard etching of gold, so no
special request is needed.  Hexadecanethiol has been used in our lab before,
however, not usually at wbgeneral.  Do you have a procedure that you would
like to use for treating your gold films?  If so, could you please provide
it?  Generally, it seems that hexadecanethiol is added in very small
amounts to a solution of ethanol or other organic solvent.  Then, the
substrate is dipped into the solution for some period of time.  Then, it is
dried and sometimes heated on a hot plate or in a vacuum chamber.  Because
of the organic solvents, this is generally done at a solvent bench, rather
than wbgeneral, which is for acids and bases.

Please do provide a procedure for treating your gold films and we will try
to help you with your setup.

Mary