New material

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 2 13:14:44 PST 2005

Hi Taka --

I'm sorry, we should update our lists...  PDMS is acceptable for use in the
lab.  Cured PDMS is allowed in most gold-compatible equipment.  Uncured
PDMS is allowed only at the Headway and adjacent hot plate.  PDMS must be
mixed up outside the lab (we have a place where you can mix and degas)and
then brought in (because the silicone monomer can be very bad for resist
adhesion in the lithography area.)

You can certainly do your stamping in SNF, but many people just use their
own labs.  If you decide to do this in the cleanroom, you do not have to be
qualified to use the solvent wet benches, as long as you do not use hot
plates or the sonicator, and make sure to properly dispose of any waste and
label any containers of chemicals you use.  If you need help in going over
any of these procedures, then let us know.

In summary, for what you are proposing to do (stamping with PDMS, gold
etching) you do not need special materials approval.  If you want to do
molding of PDMS, let us know, and we will provide you with procedures on
how to do this in SNF.