Fwd: Gallium Nitride

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 6 08:53:55 PDT 2006

Hi Jim --

But GaN is new to metalica, is that right?  And etching small amounts
doesn't generally expose the user or the maintenance person to
significant amounts of by-product, I would think.  The concern is that
the ZnCdS incident in metalica left a discernable smell in the chamber
and nearly caused (and probably warranted) an evacuation of the lab when
the cryo was regened and one would think that the amounts and volatility
of the potential by-products wouldn't have done this.  But the human
nose can be extraordinarily sensitive.

I would vote for a conservative approach.  At the very least, the first
couple of times that this is done, we should reserve extra time on the
system to check everything out.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu