request to use materials on the profilometer and AFM

Whitney Gaynor whitg at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:54:11 PDT 2006

Hello,

My name is Whitney Gaynor, and I am a graduate student in Peter
Peumans' group. I am not yet a labmember, and as such I do not have a
coral login, but will become one if my new materials request is
approved. My email address is whitg at stanford.edu, and my phone number
is 650 704 8629.

There are two chemicals that I would like to bring into SNF. The
first is ruthenium acetylacetonate, or Ru(acac)3. Its molecular
formula is Ru(C5H7O2)3, and the CAS number is 14284-93-6. It was
purchased from Sigma Aldrich Co.

Sigma Aldrich
Customer Service
PO Box 14508
St. Louis, MO 63178
Phone: 800-325-3010
www.sigmaaldrich.com

The MSDS is attached to this email. On the MSDS it is labeled as
toxic, an irritant, a neurological hazard, a teratogen, and a
possible mutagen.

The second chemical that I would like to bring in is
4,4',4''-Tris(N-3-methylphenyl-N-phenylamino)triphenylamine, or more
commonly, MTDATA. Its molecular formula is C57H48N4, and its CAS
number is 124729-98-2. It was purchased from H.W. Sands Co.

H.W. Sands Co.
1080 East Indiantown Rd, Suite 206
Jupiter, FL 33477
Phone: (561) 743 8090
www.hwsands.com

The MSDS is also attached to this email. On the MSDS it is labeled as
stable but emits toxic fumes if ignited. It poses heath hazards to
sensitive individuals but these hazards are relatively mild and
exposure must be in large quantities.

I am evaporating these thin solid films to use in organic solar cells
and need to measure thickness and roughness with AFM and
profilometer. While both chemicals are originally in powder form, the
only form in which I will be bringing it into the lab is in thin
solid films on glass substrates. The films will only be brought in to
be measured on the AFM and profilometer, no other equipment, and are
very thin, on the order of nanometers. The total mass of the films is
less than 5 mg per sample.

The samples will not be stored in the cleanroom, nor will any waste
be created and disposed of in the cleanroom.

Thank you for considering my request. Please let me know if you
require any additional information from me.

Thanks,

Whitney