Carbon nanotube suspension in dichlorobenzene

Gael Close closega at stanford.edu
Sat Aug 12 22:02:57 PDT 2006

Dear SpecMat committe,

I would like to request the authorization to bring to the lab a
suspension of carbon nanotube in dichlorobenze.

MY CONTACT INFO
===============
Name: Gael Close
Coral ID: closega
Phone number: 650-450-3567
Email: closega at stanford.edu
Advisor: Prof H.-S. Philip Wong

THE CHEMICALS
=============
Multiwall carbon nanotube suspended in dichlorobenzene.

The multiwall are originally from Nanolab, Inc. The dicholorobenze is
from Fisher Scientific. The MSDS are attached.

MANUFACTURERS INFO
==================
Nanolab Inc.
  http://www.nano-lab.com/
  55 Chapel Street, Newton, MA 02458.
  Tel: 617-581-6747

Fisher Scientific
   http://www.fisherscientific.com/
   1 Reagent Lane
   Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
   Tel: 201-796-7100

REASON FOR REQUEST
===================
The paper discussing how carbon nanotubes in dicholorbenzene can be
aligned at specified locations is available online at:
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0957-4484/17/2/015/
I am trying to replicate this protocol to deposit carbon nanotubes on
a Si chip. This is part of my PhD project. The proposed protocol works
only if the nanotubes are suspended in dicholorobenzene.

PROCESS FLOW
=============
I plan on dispensing of few ml of the solution on my samples at the
headway2 spin coater . Once the solution has been dispensed, I will
use only equipment from the contimated category:

    - PMMA coating at headway2 again
    - Exposure at ebeam
    - Development at wbebeam
    - Metal evaportion at innotec
    - Metal lift off at wbsolvent
    End of the process flow.

AMOUNT AND FORM
================
I expect to bring the liquid solution in a 10ml vial. The solution
will be prepared in a chemistry lab.

Amount: 10ml. Form: liquid.

STORAGE
========
The chemicals will be stored outside SNF.

DISPOSAL
========
My process will generate solid waste: the aluminum foil protecting the
headway will be contaminated with dicholorobenzene and carbon
nanotube. Since the dicholorobenzene is a solvent, the waste could be
put in a plastic bag, then in the solvent contaminated bin - just like
when spinning PMMA in anisole.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you,
-Gael

--
Gael Close
PhD Candidate