Iron(III) Chloride, toluene and Poly (styrene-b-acrylic acid)

Mary Tang mtang at
Thu Aug 24 16:16:01 PDT 2006

Hi all --

It may not look like it, but he's making iron nanoparticles (or at
least, Fe-loaded polystyrene spheres.)  My suggestion is that we do not
allow this into the headway or laurell, but allow this in the solvent
bench in the wafersaw room.  I noticed that the stainless top is now in
place there -- can we put Mahnaz' old laurell spin coater there now?

Xi Steven Liu wrote:

> Dear SpecMat Committee,
> This is the request for bringing in my own chemicals into cleanroom
> for spin casting (Au contaminated).
> My coral name: xliu9
> my PI: Alan Cassell from NASA Ames research center
> email: xliu9 at
> The chemicals:
> Poly(styrene-b-acrylic acid) from polymersource,
> Inc.(
> Iron(III) chloride from Sigma-Aldrich (
> Toluene from Sigma-Aldrich(
> Please see the attached process.
> ~140mg poly(styrene-b-acrylic acid) is added in 10-15ml toluene, then
> ~20mg FeCl3 is added in the polymer solution. Finally, the iron loaded
> solution is stored into a 20 ml vial. All the processes are prepared
> outside of cleanroom. I will bring this vial loaded solution in
> cleanroon for spin casting on Si.For each casted substrate, I only
> need 20ul of the solution.
> I will not store the solution in SNF.
> Thank you
> Xi Liu (Steven), Ph.D.