SpecMat Proposal: Polystyrene Nanoparticles

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 6 11:06:54 PST 2006

Hi Chris --

Sorry for the delay.  Your Specmat request was approved, with a few
caveats.  Please let us know if there are concerns on your part for any
of these.  From our notes, we have the following:

1.  SiO2 deposition on silicon wafers.
2.  Spincoating of polystyrene microspheres, to be performed at Prof.
Wang's lab.
3.  RIE using drytek2, using CF4/O2 in 2:1 ratio.  *SpecMat requests
that you perform a 15 minute O2 plasma clean following your process, to
remove any polystyrene spheres that may have come off the wafers.
*4.  Etching on the AMTEtch through SiO2.  *SpecMat requests that you
perform the 5 minute NF3 cleanup in the recipe 2 after processing your
wafers (this is part of the standard procedure for this recipe.)*
5.  Remove polystyrene microspheres using dichloromethane.  *SpecMat
requests that if this is to be done at wbsolvent at SNF, that an
alternative to dichloromethane be considered, as this is a known
carcinogen.  If this is to be done in Prof. Wang's lab, then please use
glassware that has not been exposed to metals (as in liftoff.)*
6/7.  Wafer decontamination at SNF.  *SpecMat requests that you use the
5:1:1 Water:HCl:H2O2 cleaup used for decontaminating wafers exposed to
KOH etching.  This is available online at:
http://snf/Equipment/wbgeneral/KOHEtch.html#Decontamination  Following
these procedures, "lampoly" can be used.  (Please note that normally
before going into a "clean" furnace process, a piranha clean at
wbnonmetal and pre-diff clean at wbdiff are required.  However, since
lampoly runs at a low process temperature, the KOH decontamation [in
appropriate labware, if done at wbgeneral] properly done, should be
sufficient in controlling contamination.  If you wish to change your
process from lampoly in the future, please submit a SpecMat request so
that we can check for the appropriate cleans.)*

Thanks for your patience!

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu