Request for Molybdenum etch in pquest

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 9 13:10:46 PST 2006

Colby,

In looking through the literature, I am finding most Mo etching is done
with F based chemistries.
As I told you before, the moly chlorides are not very volatile compared
to the Fluorides. The Hess papers shows that you need to heat the wafer
to at least 100 C to get etching. (
Molybdenum etching with chlorine atoms and molecular chlorine plasmas
D. S. Fischl and D. W. Hess JVST 1988 -- Volume 6, Issue 5, pp.
1577-1580)
I think you might be better off revisiting F based etch but trying CF4
with CHClF2 (F-22) or C2HClF4 (F-124). NF3 would be nice to try but it
is not plumbed to the P5000 metal chamber.

    Jim