[Fwd: New Chemical Request: Perfluorooctyl-trichloro-silane]

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 14 12:00:39 PST 2006

Oops.  I don't think we did answer it.  I think it's OK from a safety
perspective, especially in the small amounts described here.  But I
still do prefer the -ethoxy and -methoxy versions of these chemicals
over the -chloro versions.  The only possible problems I see are that
the dessicator will be coated with this anti-sticking stuff (is that a
problem?  I'm not sure what else the dessicator is used for.  It will
mean that if there is cross-contamination, the problem will be stuff not
sticking to substrates) and that the -chloro versions of these compounds
tend to react quickly with any moisture in the air to polymerize into
particles.

My suggestion is that if we are concerned with cross-contamination that
we have a dedicated dessicator for anti-sticking processes (as I also
think that nanoimprint might need something like this anyway.)  It's a
couple hundred dollars
(http://www.jenconsusa.com/products_specs_1.cfm?id=26).  It might be a
good idea to have one dessicator for hydrophobic processing and another
for hydrophillic processes.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu