Fw: GaN sputtering

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 23 16:39:01 PST 2006

Zheng, Jia

It appears you have ran an unauthorized process in the metalica.  I was not
able to find any indication of GaN in the specmat database.  This is extra
frustrating considering the issues we encountered last year with the
unauthorized use of RF depositions in the metalica.

DO NOT RUN THIS PROCESS WITHOUT SPECMAT APPROVAL.

In case you never looked at the MSDS sheet for GaN, I've enclosed the
health effects you have exposed your fellow users to without their knowledge.

Ed

Acute Effects:
Inhalation: May cause irritation to the nose, throat & mucous membranes.
Ingestion: May cause nausea, vomiting and anorexia.
Skin: May cause irritation.
Eye: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects:
Inhalation: May cause depression of bone marrow function.
Ingestion: No chronic health effects recorded.
Skin: May cause dermatitis & depression of bone marrow function.
Eye: No chronic health effects recorded.
Routes of Entry: Inhalation, Skin, Eyes, Ingestion,
Target Organs: No target organs recorded.

Carcinogenicity: None

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: Pre-existing
respiratory disorders.

Signs and Symptoms of Exposure:
Inhalation: May cause a red, dry throat, sneezing, coughing and difficulty
breathing.
Ingestion: May cause behavioral changes such as sleepiness and loss of
appetite may be noted. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting,
metallic taste in mouth general itching and sweating.
Skin: May cause redness and itching.
Eye: May cause redness, itching and watering.