Fwd: Re: request to use PDMS in P5000/gryphon

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 5 10:16:36 PST 2006

All,

A number of good points have been made during the discussions.  Alissa is
correct in her recognition of increased requests for PDMS.  It would
benefit our community if SpecMat could categorized PDMS in to one of our
contamination classifications.  The question being if it needs to be gold
contaminated or we can place it in either Semiclean or SemicleanB, since I
don't think Clean is appropriate.  We will need to understand the
differences between the many different variations of PDMS.  I'll work with
Mary and see what we can find with regards to trace elements and the
chemical and thermal stability of the PDMS.

The more pressing mater is to respond to Alissa's request.  From trace
element contamination, Mary's memory seems to indicate Alissa's requests
are reasonable.  I am very concerned about whether the process is
manufacturable.  Various concerns have been expressed over a number of the
process steps.  These concerns include the ability to expose 0.7um features
due to surface undulations in the PDMS, adhesion of the Al to the PDMS and
the potential for the Al to peel at numerous locations including the
Gryphon deposition chamber, P5000 and resist strip and the influence of the
PDMS on the etch process in the P5000.

As a proposal why don't we let Alissa get started on her PDMS casting and
lithographic process development.  I would recommend starting with Al
deposition from the Innotec.  The Innotec should be the most compatible
deposition tool, since the wafer heating will be the lowest.  If she is
able to get satisfactory patterns, we will be at a decision node where we
either let the Innotec film in to the P5000 or we allow the PDMS in to the
Gryphon.

Let's get another iteration of comments and try to resolve the request this
week.

Ed